The “ Festival of Harris Tweed” will be an exciting opportunity to recognise achievements and innovations within the internationally renowned Harris Tweed industry.
The festival will create numerous opportunities to celebrate and promote the incredible story of a unique industry across several months during 2016 – starting in August with the launch of Ian Lawson’s exhibition on the 1st of July, and continuing until November 2016. This will include:
- “From the Land Comes the Cloth”: Ian Lawson – exhibited at An Lanntair 2 July – 13 August 2016
- “Am Beairt”: Sharmanka Kinetic Theatre – exhibited at An Lanntair 1 October – 13 November 2016.
- The Harris Tweed Festival Day on 13th August 2016. A unique opportunity to experience the inner workings of this incredible industry from the Isles of Lewis and Harris. Come along to celebrate the industry’s innovations through the years to present day, and also its future. The day will feature a Tweed Ride, live music, archive film and materials, anecdote and testimony from professionals, mill workers and weavers at the production end – including demonstrations on looms, through to high-end artisans and designers who take the product to its next level and deliver it to its increasingly diverse, discerning and affluent customers. Visitors will also be treated to a carnival atmosphere fashion show and an interactive exhibition of local producers’ work.
- In keeping with the “Clò Mòr Festival of Harris Tweed” will be an offering of Harris Tweed themed tours during October 2016 – visiting the weavers’ sheds, taking in the production mills and artisan craft producers whilst experiencing the distinctiveness and beauty of the landscape across which Harris Tweed is created.
- Education and outreach programme: A programme of workshops with local schools and groups will take place in the build up to the event and during the event. Local children and young people will have the opportunity to engage with, learn from and be inspired by artisans, designers and makers.
The Harris Tweed Festival is part of The Year of Innovation, Architecture and Design 2016 a celebration of awe-inspiring innovation, breathtaking architecture and brave, bold designs through new and exciting experiences and events.