An Lanntair deliver a programme of education and outreach opportunities linked to our Performing Arts and Visual Arts programmes. There is great demand for these activities and many schools regularly benefit from workshops, author talks, performances and gallery visits. Many of the opportunities we currently offer to schools are one-off sessions. We wish to develop our Creative Learning programme with schools through offering new cross-curricular, longer-term interventions to ensure that encounters with the arts are inspiring, lead to greater understanding, knowledge and creativity, and support cross-curricular learning in the long term, embedding creative learning practice within schools.
An Lanntair have received a grant from the Paul Hamlyn Foundation to explore how we can work with schools most effectively and to test new initiatives.
The project will research new ways in which An Lanntair can support teachers to deliver the Expressive Arts experiences and outcomes, and to use the arts in the delivery of the wider curriculum. We will test new methodologies for delivery of our programme, providing more sustainable, authentic learning opportunities across the curriculum. Initiatives may include :
– Linking teachers with artists to jointly develop cross-curricular topic-based work using expressive arts outputs, and to develop resources.
– CLPL for teachers in developing expressive arts based routes to teach cross-curricular work in the classroom.
– Regular ‘Creative Teacher’ twilight discussion sessions.
– The development of a Western Isles Creative School scheme.
– Equipping artist educators with the skills to work directly with children in the Sgoil Araich/Nurseries, Primary schools, Secondary schools and Extended Learning provision.
– Subsidised ticket scheme for school groups attending plays and concerts.
We wish to engage with headteachers and teachers to discuss implementation, and we invite expressions of intent to engage with the programme. Headteachers, Teachers and Education Department colleagues are invited to an open meeting at 4pm on Thursday 13th February in An Lanntair.