Just how smart are whales?
Whales have long been a profound mystery to us. They live in a world so removed from our own that we can barely imagine their lives. Their environment is different, their senses are different, their relationships are different. Marine biologist and filmmaker Rick Rosenthal is on a journey to explore these insights, measuring the latest science against his own observations and long-held beliefs – and just maybe, getting a glimpse of the world as it must seem to these ocean giants.
Captured on camera for the first time in ‘Whale Wisdom’, Rick films the astonishing behaviour of a humpback whale which, time and again, manages to outwit humans in order to get what she wants – their fish. She brilliantly thwarts each attempt by the managers of a salmon hatchery to keep her away. Her coup de grace – slipping in and out unseen into an enclosure barely bigger than herself.
Director: Rick Rosenthal
Narration: David Attenborough
Shot over a moonlit night, THE ELVERMEN is an atmospheric film that reveals the last of a hidden community hunting an endangered fish.
As the sun sets on the banks of the River Severn on the outskirts of an impoverished city in the UK, a group of men gather in a race to catch a vanishing creature; the elusive elver.
After a day working in a print factory in Gloucester, Dave drives to the moonlit banks of the River Severn to hunt for an elusive fish, the rare elver (baby-eel), supposedly worth more than their weight in gold. Over the course of a night we experience the mysterious world of the Elvermen: the addictive gamble and stake-out amongst fathers, sons, brothers and friends. Phone calls of frustration and joy echo down a river lit by headtorches.
THE ELVERMEN shows how a rite of passage has changed into a fight for values: of tradition, community, and a connection to nature in an environment of impending change.
Director: Isla Badenoch
Duration: 14 min
An Lanntair Cinema: COVID-Safety guidelines:
– Bookings must only be made for a maximum of 10 people from one household, (children under 12 are exempt from this)
– 2m distancing must be observed at all times and facemasks worn (unless eating/drinking, under-5, or medically unable to do so)
– Customers must take allocated seats to ensure household groups are socially distanced
– Cinema snacks and drinks are available to purchase from the Café/Bar
– Cinema stewards will not require physical tickets, but will ask for name and order number
– You will be asked for your contact details for Test and Protect when making your booking