AWAY is about a boy travelling across an island on a motorcycle, trying to escape a dark spirit and get back home. Along the way he makes a series of connections with different animals and reflects on the possible ways he ended up on the island. Part dream, part reality, AWAY explores our common, universal need to find a connection.
Away was written, produced and directed entirely by Director and Animator, Gints Zilbalodis. Gints worked on the film for three and a half years, writing the fascinating story, creating the beautifullyanimated landscapes and characters, and composing and recording the enchanting music to the film.
Director & Animator: Gints Zilbalodis
Duration: 1 hr 15m
The Owl and the Pussycat
The Owl and the Pussycat set sail with their few precious possessions on a journey in which they learn nothing and lose everything, except each other.
This four minute film by Mole Hill has been made using an innovative ‘waximation’ technique to mark the 150th anniversary of Edward Lear’s evergreen nonsense poem.
The Owl and the Pussycat’ is a long-gestating project developing the waximation technique first used by Mole in ‘The Fat Cat’. Having repeatedly drawn on Edward Lear’s poem as a subject for paintings and drawings the occasion of the 150th anniversary of its publication gave Mole the impetus – and deadline – to turn the images into a film.
With most of the world under COVID lockdown restrictions Mole took to his garage and began the task of etching the film into a thin layer of wax one frame at a time. Shot on Dragonframe and edited in After Effects and Premiere the filming took about three months to complete. ‘Making of’ clips are available to view on Mole’s Instagram account (hill.mole).
BAFTA Film Awards 2021 – Winner – Best British Short Animation
An Lanntair Cinema: COVID-Safety guidelines:
– Bookings must only be made for a maximum of 10 people from one household, (children under 12 are exempt from this)
– 2m distancing must be observed at all times and facemasks worn (unless eating/drinking, under-5, or medically unable to do so)
– Customers must take allocated seats to ensure household groups are socially distanced
– Cinema snacks and drinks are available to purchase from the Café/Bar
– Cinema stewards will not require physical tickets, but will ask for name and order number
– You will be asked for your contact details for Test and Protect when making your booking